Monday, May 18, 2015

Hamlet the Poet

This is my translation of  Nizar Qabbani's poem "Hamlet the Poet". 

Hamlet the Poet

To be, or not to be… a woman

That is the question.
 

To be my favourite woman,
 

My spoiled Turkish kitten,
 

My sun, oh thou art my sun.
 

To be a blissful hand on my forehead,
 

To be a star in my next life… that is the question.
 

To be it all, or lose it all: I am just as barbaric when in love.
 

To be everything a drop of dew, carried on a blossoming flower, represents.
 

To be my blue notebook,
 

My papers,
 

My mental ink.
 

To be, albeit, a word
 

Looking for its essence in my lips.
 

To be a girl blossoming in my hands.
 

That is the question.
 

Oh my beautiful nymph sent to me by the sea,
 

Oh my brutal sound of drumming,
 

Will you ever comprehend me?
 

I may have misinterpreted my thoughts,
 

I might have fallen in your love with blindfolded eyes,
 

I may well have blown balance with madness,
 

Because I only love with madness.
 

Therefore, take me as me, otherwise reject me.

1 comment:

Mike Morris Finance Group said...


Hello, We give out loan with a low interest rate of 3% and loan duration of 1 to 30 years to pay back the loan (secure and unsecured). Do not keep your financial problems to yourself in order for you not to be debt master or financial stress up, which is why you must contact us quickly for a solution to your financial problems. It will be a great joy to us when you are financially stable contact us via Email Mikemorrisfinancegroup@gmail.com